We have operated a register for professional medical herbalists since 1864, and are the largest body of western herbal practitioners in the UK. The organisation has a long and illustrious history. It was first established as the National Association of Medical Herbalists in 1864 by a group of herbalists from the north of England. Today the Institute has members throughout the United Kingdom and internationally.
Our members have completed degree level qualifications or equivalent. We ensure high standards of education in herbal medicine and work to raise the professional standing of medical herbalists.
We are proud of our heritage, and we are just as excited about our future. Plant based medicines that are tailored to individual needs, in-depth consultations where patients voices are heard, and a focus on treating causes rather than just symptoms mean that our members are playing their part in creating a better, healthier future for everyone. Feel better – see a herbalist
WHAT WE DO
The Institute promotes the benefits, the efficacy and the safe use of herbal medicine. Our members treat thousands of patients every year. By choosing one of our members as your practitioner you can be confident of their high standards of training and professional conduct.
A world where herbal medicine is a recognised and respected healthcare option for all
- To promote and champion herbalism
- To maintain the highest standards in herbal medicine
- To promote the expertise of our members
- To safeguard the public
WHAT WE DO
- Maintaining a Register of individual members.
- Setting the profession’s educational standards.
- Running an accreditation system for training establishments.
- Maintaining mandatory programmes of professional development.
- Providing codes of conduct, ethics and practice.
- Operating complaints and disciplinary procedures.
- Representing the profession, patients and the public through participation in external processes such as regulation of the profession and herbal medicine.
- Ensuring that all NIMH Members have professional indemnity, public liability and medical malpractice insurance.
- Operating a mandatory comprehensive block insurance scheme.