We have operated a voluntary register for professional medical herbalists since 1864, and are recognised for our high professional standards.
Our members have completed degree level qualifications or equivalent. We ensure high standards of education in in herbal medicine and work to raise the professional standing of medical herbalists.
We welcome applications for membership from qualified Medical Herbalists who can demonstrate that they meet our membership criteria. This normally includes graduation from an accredited course, however applications from suitably qualified individuals who have not studied on an accredited course may be considered via our Individual Accreditation scheme.
How to join
We also welcome applicants who have not graduated from an accredited course. Please contact us for further information.
There are no application fees for graduates from accredited programmes.
Application and assessment fees for applicants through the Individual Application Scheme may apply.
New members who have completed an accredited programme within the last 2 years are granted discounted fees of 40% in the first year, 20% in their second year and 10% in their third year.
In addition to membership fees, Institute members must take out indemnity insurance through the block insurance scheme (approximately £60 per year for a £6,000,000 cover) – or demonstrate equivalent cover.
AS A MEMBER OF THE INSTITUTE YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM:
- Your own listing on our ‘Find A Herbalist’ service to help new patients find you
- MNIMH after your name and use of the Institute logo: recognised throughout the world as an assurance of your high status as a safe, competent professional
- A membership certificate to display wherever you consult
- A flexible Continuing Professional Development scheme to meet your individual CPD needs
- Access to our online Member Zone with resources to support your professional work, including the our full CPD archive, our video site ‘Herb player’ and our online community areas
- Free access to our Member Assistance programme, offering 24/7 support for you and your family, including free counselling sessions where needed
- Discounted access to the Herbal Medicine Conference
- Promotional materials for you to buy, designed to meet your marketing needs
- Dedicated PR activity including regular press releases and social media posts
- Up-to-date news and information on current laws and regulations affecting the profession.
- Representation at parliamentary meetings: we work to raise political awareness of the herbal profession
- Worldwide membership and links with the American Herbalists Guild and the New Zealand Association of Medical Herbalists.
- Access to our extensive library and archives
- Discounted professional insurance: with an extent of cover not available to individual practitioners
– 24-hour legal helpline
– professional legal protection up to £100,000 for defence costs
– cover for additional therapies e.g. massage, reflexology and aromatherapy
– cover for teaching workshops and leading herb walks
– cover for training students
– jury or witness service cover for lost income
– negotiation and representation for any Inland Revenue enquiry
– optional personal accident insurance up to £25,000 (additional cost)
- Access to the Natural Standards research database
- Quarterly member’s newsletter – Herbal Thymes, written for members by members
- An annual professional conference featuring speakers from the across the world
- New member’s mentorship scheme and discounted membership for new members
- Student affiliate scheme
- Regional groups
- Member special offers and discounts with suppliers
- Member support from our head office
- Access to online guidance and a members’ discussion area
- Development opportunities to become involved with the Institute and its governing Council